Sunday 5 November 2006

Ignorance is Bliss?

I don't want to read the paper. I'm sick of the bad news. Last week a young man got a a 6 inch scar in his face from a knife just for the crime of walking home. I'm sick and tired of reading about shit like that. I'd like to pretend that there is a reason for it that I cannot comprehend. I'd like to just ignore it.

I don't want to watch the news on the TV. When I do, I should cry. But I've become cold. I long ago switched myself off. When a man buys a gun and goes crazy in a school I no longer feel. I don't know their families. I don't ask them how they're doing. They're on the other side of the world but I don't want to think about it because it hit's too close to the bone.

I can turn off the TV, put aside the paper and go about my day. But just because you don't see it

It doesn't mean its gone away.

If you're not pissed off at the world then you're just not paying attention.

Every day there's something. Loser men beating their wives. North Koreans starving whilst their egotistical leader blackmails the superpowers with weapons he cannot afford to use. People judging their neighbours for practising a religion they've not taken the time to understand.

We switch ourselves off. We listen to the music on the radio, or watch some sport while a mother in Iraq mourns the loss of her son. We eat too much and throw the rest away while a million starve in East Africa. We drive our big cars, while the ice caps melt and deny that anything we can do will make a difference anyway.


Why don't I cry? Why am I not angry enough to make a difference? Where is the shame......

1 comment:

Girl said...

The world is nutso. It's depressing to watch the news and read the paper.

Little things like kid hugs and nature make all the difference. Thye also remin you that ther is something in life that is worthwhile.