Wednesday 27 June 2007

Its On Repeat #2

Foy Vance - Indiscriminate Act Of Kindness It's a quiet one this one, and a slow builder. Some songs you like right from the off and others grow on you. If I'm being honest I wasn't blown away the first time I heard this but the more I listened to the words the more I got into it.

Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple I came across this band at the turn of the year and at the time I was working with a lot of Poles who introduced me to Polish music for the first time and although they didn't share this band with me I mistakenly assumed that Gogol Bordello was an Eastern European outfit because it had a similar sort of sound to some of the Polish music. It just goes to show you I know absolutely nothing about music as Gogol Bordello are from New York City. Bugger it, I can be man enough to admit when I'm wrong.
After watching Glastonbury on BBC2 and seeing Gogol perform I had to dig this track out again. The song itself makes no sense, well to me anyway, but it has a weird hyperactive energy to it and sometimes I like weird energy.

Basement Jaxx (Feat. Lisa Kekaula) - Good Luck I do like a good bit of Basement Jaxx from time to time and Lisa's voice in this track is awesome. And that's not a word I use often. It's totally awesome, man! OK enough of surfer dude persona.

Devendra Banhart - Lazy Butterfly This guy has a unique singing voice, its weird, it shouldn't really work and yet it does. A voice that breaks the rules.

Che Fu & King Kapisi - The Man With The Elephant Nose 2 New Zealand acts joined up to perform a song for when I'm feeling rather sensitive about my appearance whilst suffering from Hay fever. OK so maybe they didn't really have me in mind, but it is a good song if you like New Zealand hip hop (a milder much more family suitable version of its American cousin) even if it is extremely hard to get a hold of.

Cherry Ghost - People Help The People Another quiet one, another grower.

Dougie MacLean - Caledonia I always have to have at least one token Scottish song, and this is an oldie.

Milton Nascimento & Lo Borges - Um Girassol Da Cor Do Seu Cabelo If the last song was an oldie this must be ancient seeing as it comes from a decade before. It's Brazlian and no I don't have a clue what its about, but I don't care. I don't need to know the lyrics to enjoy the beat.

Camille - Ta Douleur She's got that dark moody sexy French sophisticated look on her album sleeve and yet her music is charming and playfully experimental at times. I can't think of any other artist that would suddenly blow raspberries with their mouth in the middle of a song.

If you can't get hold of the tracks feel free to ask on the understanding if you like, you buy, i'm all for artist royalties.

11 comments:

Girl said...

You have eclectic tastes. I like it. Now on to search for music by the ones I've not heard before.

Scotsman said...

I'm what you could call a musical slut, my ears will listen to anything 2 or 3 times before deciding whether to keep or throw away.

Girl said...

A slut and a freak.
Very interesting.

Scotsman said...

It's no wonder I've found myself homeless huh

Girl said...

I guess the rich folk do go in much for the riff raff.

Anonymous said...

Um, don't. Don't go in...

Pour inglinsh skilz.

Tathiana Sobroza said...

I know you don't care but if for an instance you become curious about the brazilian song I can help you out.
I could translate for you. I just can't promise to be as perfect as an english person. But you can definitely understand what it is about.
The title is "A sun-flower of the color of your hair"
Take care.

Scotsman said...

girl: I knew what you were saying, I might be riff raff but I'm quick to catch on :P

Tathiana: Thank you but if I were to start asking you to translate one song I probably wouldn't stop until the whole album was done.

Tathiana Sobroza said...

lol
i know what you mean.
anyway, feel free to ask help if you want, ok?

Alkenhoffer said...

He strikes such a delicate pose.

Unknown said...

Hey dude,

got a strange request here...
could you possibly send me an mp3 of
"Che Fu & King Kapisi - The Man With The Elephant Nose". I've been trying to find this everywhere and the only place that had a fading chance of hope was an expired auction on trademe (i'm hitting him up next).
apologies but this song has haunted me since i first heard it in '99.

hope you get this!