Friday 5 February 2010

Judging

I don't know what it is but I think I might have a switch missing in my genetic makeup.

I'm not what you might consider to be a nice person.

I try to be. But when it comes down to it I'm just way too judgmental.

It works like this the nicer a person is the more I don't like them. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike little old ladies that wouldn't harm anyone. Usually, somehow, they escape my judgments. However there is a certain type of person that for all intensive purposes who come across as being good-natured, generous and very much likable but for some reason I 'm not able to stand them.

Anyway, changing subjects. Maybe.

What possessed 10 Baptist missionaries to try to take 33 children from Haiti to the Dominican Republic without the proper documentation? Especially when 2/3rds of those children still had living parents.

I applaud those who have went to Haiti to try and help create some sort of normality or just do a little bit of good after the earthquake. I applaud those who felt moved enough to adopt one of the many orphans. But I don't understand the thinking behind taking kids away from their parents. If the parents are so desperate for their kids safety because they can't feed and clothe them then maybe at a last resort something can be done by one or two of the missionaries to get the necessary paperwork in order but in the meantime the other 8 or 9 missionaries could have stayed to make sure that the kids and the parents had what was necessary to keep them warm and fed and together.

I'm sure the missionaries all meant well and are nice people, but I don't see the logic in breaking up families and making artificial orphans when there must be plenty of orphans enough in Haiti already. If people are desperately in need of help and those missionaries couldn't have helped everyone they should surely have done everything they could to find an organisation that could. Or is it much better to be self righteous and judge that some aren't fit to be parents?

But hey what do I know? I'm just judging.

3 comments:

Sausage said...

I wonder if the so called missionaries would have made money from the adoption of the bairns stateside. There is another name for that.
sometimes I wish the colosseum was still open for business.
Cheers.

Unknown said...

The lead missionary has had some "financial difficulties" on the home front. Once I heard that the aroma of stink began to surround the whole scenario. I tried to think "they didn't know any better" but that argument doesn't fly, in my book. Thanks for posting on this controversial topic.

Madame DeFarge said...

Go ahead and judge. It's a bad business and smacks of cultural imperialism at its finest. Let's hope it discourages others from doing the same.