Tuesday 26 April 2011

Hiking In Little Cottonwood

It has been a long winter here in Salt Lake, followed by a spring that can be best described as fickle and schizophrenic. One day I'm getting a burnt neck whilst working and getting the crap from the wife that that entails, next I'm rushing off home trying to avoid the snow and hail. I'm almost missing the weather from Scotland, at least that is predictably bad.

Anyway our two year anniversary is fast approaching and despite the weather we need to get in hiking shape for our trip to Moab at the end of May. So on Sunday we took the opportunity to enjoy a couple of hours worth of blue skies and went for a hike right here in Salt Lake.














Predictably the snow still lying on the ground steadily got worse the higher we got, which ultimately prevented us from reaching our goal.

However I have to admit to being a very proud man when I saw my wife pick up a small rock and throw it away in a moment of frustration. It might not exactly be good mountain etiquette but no one was hurt from the act and its progress indeed from someone who not so long ago didn't want to climb over immovable gates, or who would shy away from the noise of barking animals in the distance when enjoying the great outdoors. (We Scots are a strange breed and take pride in the strangest of things)

By the time she picked up her third, I was trying so hard to suppress my laugh that I wasn't at all confident that I could avoid it if I found it come flying in my direction.

No comments: