Thursday 17 March 2011

Some words are easier to say than others. Others nots so much. Like the word - sorry - even when you know it makes you a complete arsehole for not being able to say sometimes its remains difficult to spit it out. Granted if you had to spit it out, that would probably make it worse than not saying it at all. Not to mention it would be a tad bit messy.

Some words you know are going to be difficult in advance. For me repeating just about anything in Spanish fits that bill. But on occasions English words do it too. I felt for sure that I could predict an upcoming headache 2 years ago.

As I was approaching the big day I thought I was going to struggle with making the word 'wife' part of vocabulary afterwards. Up until then I had been pretty much single all my life. I was married to my job for much of my adult years and never really found the time for relationships or ever gave it any consideration that there was any chance that I would get married and then I met the woman and I was a goner.

I thought it might take me a few months of getting used to the concept of being married before I could say 'my wife' without it sounding like a foreign language I wasn't used to.

But I needn't have worried from day one 'my wife' this and 'wife' that slipped into my conversations as smoothly as Scotland slips out of competitive football competitions. I refused though to believe that I am a whooped man and preferred to think that I was just proud, or something like that. But then last night happened and I am forced to reassess.

Picture the scene. It's early morning. We're sleeping. I'm spooning her, as I often do. She farts, like couples are apt to do in the comfort of their own bed especially so when they are asleep and are not in control of their own bodies. I wake with a startle, as I feel the gust of air on my leg. I quickly assess the situation and decide its time to turn away to the other side of the bed. Only I find myself waking later in exactly the same position as before, due to the same reason. Apparently I can't help myself even when I know its in my best interests.

3 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Your partner has just farted on your leg is never a pleasant realisation.

Kyle said...

LOL, this is a pretty good description of what marriage is all about!

PS. We're going to Scotland in a few months, any tips?

Scotsman said...

I would say make sure you take clothes for every possibility as the weather will be unpredictable from one minute to the next. 4 season in one day and all that.

If you are photographing just the wedding you probably already know the venue but if you have the opportunity to take the couple away a couple of days before for a seprate shoot, or have time to stay on a little bit longer you may want to check out undiscoveredscotland.com for other places near by that would be worth a visit. Make the most of it, its a beautiful country with good light when the clouds cooperate